If you are like me, you get nervous when starting a new job – it can be downright stressful. Your hard work has paid off – great GPA, bang up job interviewing, and you beat out hundreds of competing interns to land this job – No Pressure, right?!
Here are the Top 5 Ways To Prep For Your Internship First Day:
- Dress Appropriately – Ask the recruiter, or your new boss, ahead of time how you should dress. If you can’t get a hold of them or their answer is vague, it is always better to overdress than underdress. If you wear a suit jacket but everyone at the job is business casual (nice top, khakis or slacks), you can always remove your jacket and you’ll fit right in.
- Perfect Your Elevator Speech – Prepare a 30-second explanation of who you are – name, school, major, job/division where you’ll be working, what you hope to learn – and a fun fact (i.e. Pit Bull rescuer).
- Network – People love to talk about themselves. Listen to what they are saying and find a commonality. Once you both start talking about what you have in common, you will forever remember this common affection and have something to talk about when you run into each other later on.
- Don’t Try Too Hard to Impress – Be genuine in your interactions. Listen more than you speak. Nobody likes someone who constantly toots their own horn, so make sure you balance out how you share your impressive background and abilities.
- Don’t Be a Slave To Your Cell Phone – Put your phone on vibrate and place it in your pocket or purse (not on the table). On breaks, don’t hurry to see who is calling or texting; rather spend that time getting to know others. If you have to check your phone, take a run to the bathroom and check it on the way.
No matter what, you’ll remember your first day of work fondly and feel a strong connection to the people that lead the orientation session and the other newbies in the group. They will be your go-to-people in the beginning and possibly as your career advances. Have Fun and Enjoy Your Internship!